Planning for video hosting
Mukurtu CMS provides two options for managing video files: direct upload and hosting, or external hosting.
Unlike images, audio files, and documents, even access copies of videos will have very large file sizes. In many cases it is more cost-effective to use an external video hosting provider than paying for additional in-site storage.
Additionally, you will want to ensure that your users have satisfactory playback experiences regardless of hosting. While small video files uploaded directly may play fine, when accessing larger files or for users or hosting services with more limited bandwidth or internet speeds, externally hosted videos usually load faster, and play more reliably.
Direct Upload and Hosting
- If you choose to upload your video files directly to your Mukurtu CMS site, they will be stored with all your other media assets and database.
- You will need to ensure that your hosting plan provides sufficient space for large video files.
- The default maximum upload size for a single file is 128MB, but your system/server administrator should be able to configure support for larger individual uploads.
- Mukurtu-hosted videos will use the default HTML5 video player.
- Mukurtu CMS also support external hosting through different providers, including Vimeo and Youtube.
- To use one of these providers, you will need to create an account with the respective service. These services over a range of free and paid accounts, each with their own features and limitations.
- YouTube and Vimeo both support some type of “private” hosting, so your videos will not be shown on their own platforms, but can still be accessed through your Mukurtu CMS site.
- Externally hosted videos do not use storage space on your Mukurtu CMS site, but if videos are removed from the hosting platform, they will no longer be available through your Mukurtu CMS site.
- Externally hosted videos will use the native, embedded player provided by each platform.